Assessment?

• I have a Yr 9 Assignment that I was going to upload/ offer to you all here. It is a really easy intro to Droning assignment - Australian based but it would be easy to change the country!

The assignment centres around the use of drones in agriculture. It asks the students to fly the drone to set locations, wait, (if I had camera attachments they would take a photo) and return to base. Very simile intro.

I am looking to improve on it and include some of the sensor on the drone next term. My students this term have only used the drones for 10 lessons (of 60 mins).

You can PM me for details or HERE

Cheers,

Adam

• Hey @DawsonEdu! This is really neat, thanks for sharing. I'm going to tag @robolink_kristen here, so she can take a look and see if we'd like to collaborate somehow. We're definitely interested in integrating real-life inspired challenges in our competitions, so this is great to see.

By the way, what kind of drones are you using in your lessons?

• @robolink_wes The class is Yr 9 mixed gender and ability. They have not coded before. The Codrone is the pro. I am coding, at the moment, with LITE - blocky(?) code in order to get them quickly into programming and flying. It is the first 7wk course I have run with the drones. Next semester I will try different things - more time learning the movements of the drone and the effect of momentum on turning etc. LOTS of learning. Lots more to do.

• @dawsonedu This is great! We have a lot of teachers trying to incorporate real-life drone usage into their lessons so I'm sure they will be very excited to hear about what you're doing.

Apologies if you discussed this in the curriculum, but how do the students know where they are flying their drone to? Are there set locations in the classroom, maps that they're using, or something different?

Also, you have some cognitions listed. Are those educational standards and if so, are they for your school, city, or state?

Good call with having them start with the Blockly! I think it will lead to less frustration. I can also look to see if we have anything about drones in agriculture on our end and if we do, I will pass that along to you.

Thank you for letting us know about this! If you ever have the chance to take videos or pictures of everything in action, we would love to see them!

• @robolink_kristen
    how do the students know where they are flying their drone to?
    I have uploaded the map to the same link. I kept it simple for the kids - to pass they just had to get to the drone to the letterbox, take a picture and get back to the house.

you have some cognitions listed. Are those educational standards and if so, are they for your school, city, or state?
    They are the Digital Solutions Curriculum standards for Australia - the program has to hit as many of the standards as possible over a set period (Year 9-10 / 14 to 15 year old students)

As for video - I will get some footage next week and add it to the Google Drive folder.

• @dawsonedu Thanks for the information ---that's all great to know. We're looking forward to the footage!

Looks like your connection to Robolink community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.