CoDrone Pro No Remote Control Sync, No Communication with Mac

• CoDrone Pro won't sync/connect to remote control - Bluetooth board light forever flashes yellow color after pressing reset button, drone flashes green. Attempted USB connection to MacBook Pro, High Sierra, Arduino 1.8.5, upload mode (switch 1 on), receive the following error message: Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

/Users/Johnny/Documents/Arduino/sketch_jun19a/sketch_jun19a.ino: In function 'void setup()':
    sketch_jun19a:9: error: expected initializer before 'CoDrone'
    CoDrone.begin(115200);
    ^
    exit status 1
    expected initializer before 'CoDrone'

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Using "Arduino/Genuino Uno on /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART port. Only other port option is "Arduino/Genuino Uno on /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port" Neither have success.
    Please help in pairing remote to drone.

• @johnnycurry Hmm, it looks like you might not have the board manager set, if you're getting that first message about "Arduino/Genuino Uno". Can you go to Tools > Board: and then make sure to set your board to "Rokit-SmartInventor-mega32_v2"? The message suggests you may have your board set to "Arduino/Genuino Uno". It should be near the bottom of the sub-menu list of boards.

If "Rokit-SmartInventor-mega32_v2" isn't an option, you may need to install the boards manager, which you can do by following step #2 of this lesson about installing the hardware files.

Let me know if this helps! If not, we can troubleshoot further.

• Thank you Wes for replying. After plugging-in USB and changing the set to "Rocket-SmartInventor-mega32_v2, then verifying I received this message: Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Rokit-SmartInventor-mega32_v2"

In file included from /Users/Johnny/Documents/Arduino/sketch_jun19a/sketch_jun19a.ino:6:0:
    /Users/Johnny/Documents/Arduino/libraries/CoDrone/CoDrone.h: In function 'void setup()':
    /Users/Johnny/Documents/Arduino/libraries/CoDrone/CoDrone.h:1158:21: error: type mismatch with previous external decl of 'setup()::CoDroneClass CoDrone' [-fpermissive]
    extern CoDroneClass CoDrone;
    ^
    In file included from /Users/Johnny/Documents/Arduino/sketch_jun19a/sketch_jun19a.ino:1:0:
    /Users/Johnny/Documents/Arduino/libraries/CoDrone/CoDrone.h:1158:21: error: previous external decl of 'CoDroneClass CoDrone' [-fpermissive]
    extern CoDroneClass CoDrone;
    ^
    sketch_jun19a:9: error: expected initializer before 'CoDrone'
    CoDrone.begin(115200);
    ^
    exit status 1
    expected initializer before 'CoDrone'

What do you think?

• Hmm, I'll have @robolink_arnold take a look to see if he can help you further, but it seems like at least the initial issue was resolved of not finding the board.

• Thank you. I am the coordinator to a GenCyber student camp starting Monday and we have 40 of the drones for students. I need this to connect/sync to the remote.

• We will definitely help you to get up and running before then. @robolink_arnold is finishing up a class now, and I've pinged him to get in touch with you to see if he can help. We can reach out to you via e-mail and do a video call if need be.

Also, to help the process, can you paste the actual code you're trying to upload? Thanks!

• Certainly. The only reason I'm attempting to load this code is in effort to make the drone connect to the remote control (gathered code after reading/researching). I watch videos and they all make it look so easy - turn on the remote on, turn the drone on, wait, and it's paired. Not so much on this one:

#include <CoDrone.h>

void setup() {
      CoDrone.begin(115200);
      CoDrone.PrintDroneAddress();
    #include<CoDrone.h>

void setup()
      CoDrone.begin(115200);

byte droneAddress[6] = {0xEC, 0x3F, 0xE5, 0xC2, 0xB5, 0xD0};
      //This will be replaced with your CoDrone's unique address
      CoDrone.pair(droneAddress);
    }

void loop() {
    }

Thank you for your help. JC

• Wondering if @robolink_arnold was able to take a look at my situation. Thank you in advance for your response.

• @johnnycurry Yes, I talked to him about it. He's running summer camps now and had only an hour and a half break for lunch in between, so I've asked @robolink_whoseop to help take a look today.

• @johnnycurry Sorry for catching up with this late. Looks like there's an error in the code.
    Try this code first, then open the serial monitor to grab your address. It will print out the drone address

#include <CoDrone.h>

void setup() {
      CoDrone.begin(115200);
    }

Then you can run pair() with the drone address:

#include<CoDrone.h>

void setup(){
      CoDrone.begin(115200);

byte droneAddress[6] = {0xEC, 0x3F, 0xE5, 0xC2, 0xB5, 0xD0};
      //This will be replaced with your CoDrone's unique address
      CoDrone.pair(droneAddress);
    }

void loop() {
    }

This will have your remote connect to a specific CoDrone's address. Give it a try, and let me know if it helps.

• Attempted the first part of your message and received this error message:
    Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Rokit-SmartInventor-mega32_v2"

Archiving built core (caching) in: /var/folders/7f/lyldq5pj3q39vrtlxmgt_sdm0000gp/T/arduino_cache_707864/core/core_rokit_avr_SmartInventor-mega32_v2_8372d02330c307e08216049b70f86e76.a
    core/core.a(main.cpp.o): In function main': /Users/Johnny/Library/Arduino15/packages/rokit/hardware/avr/1.0.3/cores/atmega32/main.cpp:14: undefined reference toloop'
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Rokit-SmartInventor-mega32_v2.

0_1529678007380_Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 8.31.37 AM.png

• @johnnycurry

#include <CoDrone.h>
    void setup() {
      CoDrone.begin(115200);
      CoDrone.pair(Nearest);
    }
    void loop(){
    }

try this code

• Making progress but not quite there. Error message after applying and attempting to upload your last code:
    Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Rokit-SmartInventor-mega32_v2"

Sketch uses 10542 bytes (32%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32336 bytes.
    Global variables use 1141 bytes of dynamic memory.
    avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
    Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

• This may also be of some use - When attempting to update firmware I receive the following after trying both WiFi and USB connections:
    0_1529693381197_Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 12.48.24 PM.png 0_1529693375410_Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 12.48.15 PM.png

• @johnnycurry
    It looks like you didn't make inventor board to upload mode.
    also If you didn't download usb driver before you need to download to use board

-download USB driver
    https://basecamp.robolink.com/cwists/preview/576x

-how to upload program
    https://basecamp.robolink.com/cwists/preview/625x

this two link can help you also

if you need more live support we can set up video call to help you
    when is your best time to do video call?
    whoseop@robolink.com is my email

• @johnnycurry Just spoke to you during the support call, and glad we were able to resolve your issue. I e-mailed this to you, but I also wanted to share these here so other customers would be able to use the resources as well:

https://basecamp.robolink.com/
    This is where our lessons are located for every product.

CoDrone Arduino lessons
    Programming the CoDrone using Arduino text-based coding

CoDrone Snap lessons
    Programming the CoDrone using Snap, which is a great way to expose children to block coding

Calibrating the CoDrone
    This is how you can re-calibrate the CoDrone, which we recommend doing any time the drone seems to be drifting a lot. It helps to set the drone's trim back to 0, and generally helps to make it hover with more stability.

Educator Guide
    This goes over safety, maintenance, storage, classroom management, etc. This guide is geared specifically for classroom settings.

Lesson Plans
    Here are a bunch of full lesson plans following the 5E format, which programming the CoDrone with block coding.

Forum
    You can post here for technical support, sharing ideas, and connecting with other users and educators.

Documentation
    This is for more advanced users, who want to dig into the function definitions of the CoDrone library. We're still updating our tutorials to use these newer advanced functions, but you can certainly experiment with these.

Storage Cases that we use
    We use HDX Home Depot tool boxes. You can also use other tool boxes and tackle boxes from fishing.

• Thank you Whoseop and Wes! I appreciate your time and patience. I'm certain the students in our GenCyber kids camp will love the drones. Thanks again.

• administrators

@johnnycurry Hello it appears that the remote may not have been in upload mode. Please check out this video it goes over how to upload a program to the remote. There are some key steps that need to be followed exactly in order for the remote to be in upload mode.

• The timeout error usually indicates the remote is not in upload mode. (Blinking blue led on the right side & BLE module not flashing red)

• The other possible error is selecting the computers internal Bluetooth port and not the /dev/cu..SLAB_USBtoUART

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Looks like your connection to Robolink community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.